Sidney’s Shot and Ole Miss’ Mascot

While most other college students have returned to campus, I’m still basking in the glory days of summer because classes at the University of Oregon don’t begin until the last week of September.

So, what am I doing with this free time? Aside from working and attempting to clean my room, I’m soaking up all the sports knowledge I could ever want.

With a little extra time on my hands, I’m inviting SportsCenter into my room (because after 19 years of being uncool, I finally have a TV in my bedroom), listening to Portland sports talk radio in the car and actually reading the Oregonian sports page.

I’m not complaining; I choose to inundate myself with all this sports info. And since I’ve consumed unhealthy amounts of sports coverage in the past few days, I feel qualified to present the two greatest sports videos (non-game footage) of this week.

Number One: Hockey player Sidney Crosby’s 360-foot shot during batting practice at Pittsburgh’s PNC Park

Watch the whole thing; it’s only a minute long, and you’ll see the homer and hear Crosby’s fantastic Canadian accent.

Crosby, who plays for the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins, might be better known as The Only Active NHL Player the Average American Has Heard Of, but in this video he makes a case for being The Only Really Compelling Pittsburgh Pirates Storyline of 2010.

This is apparently newsworthy enough to receive coverage on the Penguins’ website.

It’s too bad there is overlap between the NHL and MLB seasons. Otherwise, Sid the Kid should consider donning a Pirates uni and turning the team around – a World Series trophy would complement the Stanley Cup nicely, don’t you think?

Number Two: ESPN’s Ole Miss Star Wars Commercial: Students Campaign for the Admiral Ackbar Mascot

Even if you don’t know Star Wars, you have to get behind this. The Ole Miss student who started this campaign should be guaranteed straight A’s for the rest of his college career.

When you bring together fan bases as passionate as those for college football and Star Wars, magical things have to happen. The ad was even covered on AdFreak, an AdWeek blog.

Did any other sports videos catch your eye this week? I’d welcome your thoughts on Sidney Crosby at the plate and/or Ole Miss’ potential mascot. And since I’m now a sports news addict, feel free to pass along any other interesting finds you may have.

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “Sidney’s Shot and Ole Miss’ Mascot

1. Darrell Robinson says:

Some other sites to check out:

College Football News: http://cfn.scout.com/

Dwight Jaynes blog: http://www.dwightjaynes.com/

The Boregonian is not a very good sports paper – too long the only game in town. Better choices are the Columbian in Vancouver, the Statesman-Journal in Salem & the Register-Guard (they even have a beat writer for the Beavs!) in Eugene.

This guy at the San Jose Mercury-News does a good job with Pac-10/12 sports:

I am not revealing all my secret spots for the “Gleanings”

• Paige Landsem says:

Darrell, your amount of football news sources never fails to astound me. I’ll have to check out the SJ Mercury-News guy as I’ve never even thought of looking at their sports page. The Register-Guard beat writers/football columnists are great; it’s worth signing up for Twitter just to follow George Schroeder’s (R-G columnist) tweets during college games. He seems funny and smart.

Also, don’t reveal all of the secret spots for Gleanings. It’s better if they remain a mystery. But Gleanings is becoming my top source of football news.

2. jasmollica says:

Here’s what caught my eye last night (Wednesday) in sports: The NFL Network’s “America’s Game” doc on the 2009 New Orleans Saints. NFL Films continues to set the standard for sports docs (yes, ESPN did some great ones this year with “30 in 30,” but NFLF’s is still tops). It was a terrific and captured the emotion of Nawlins and what the team formerly known as the “Ain’ts” has done for that city. I’m a NY Giants fan and I walked away with even more of a man crush on Drew Brees. Sean Payton could run for Governor of Louisiana and win in a landslide. Great stuff and it’s a must watch!

One last “caught my eye.” If you are a baseball fan and aren’t watching the MLB Network, you are missing out. The channel’s prime time show is the absolute best. ESPN can’t touch it.

• Paige Landsem says:

You’re so right about MLB Network. I don’t watch it as often as I should, but from the little I’ve seen and what I’ve heard from others, it’s way better.

That NOLA documentary sounds fantastic. Since I have no NFL rooting interest, I’ll be pulling for the Saints this year! (I also agree re: Sean Payton. Who knows? If the whole football thing stops working out, maybe he’ll run.) Thanks for reading, commenting and tweeting the post!

3. Debbie says:

As a die-hard Ole Miss fan and alum, I just can’t get behind something as UGLY as Ackbar for our new mascot! However, and this is a biggie, he does have a laser and his proponents are right — no other college mascots have a laser! So they might be onto something here; still, the Ole Miss campus is so beautiful, I’d prefer having us select something to accent that beauty — more like an Indiana Jones or Han Solo kind of hero. Any thoughts?? Oh, Congrats for getting Freshly Pressed!

• Paige Landsem says:

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for reading and commenting! I’m with you – I think it’d be a little outrageous if Admiral Ackbar actually was the mascot, but it makes for a funny video and some good “buzz” about the school. And, the laser IS pretty cool. Han Solo is a great idea, though; maybe you’re not looking for the most hansdsome mascot but I think he’d complement that beauty pretty nicely. 🙂

Also, I just checked out your blog – it’s great! I’ll definitely have to keep checking it out.