The Verdict on #ChatMixer: Awesome.

Like many of you, I participated in #chatmixer last night. It was sort of on a whim: I was starting some homework but took notice of more and more #chatmixer tweets popping up in my TweetDeck notifications.

I jumped in a little late, but I am SO GLAD that I did.

Here’s why:

1)     #Chatmixer connected me with a bunch of awesome new people.

2)     It connected me with a bunch of awesome new chats.

3)     It reminded me why social media is so awesome in the first place.

Usually during a big chat like #chatmixer or #PRStudChat (which I’ve only half-joined once), I’ll view all the tweets in TweetChat but keep TweetDeck open so I can more easily see if someone mentions me and then be sure to respond individually. It was cool to see people actually responding to my tweets/thoughts and then making a real connection with them. You can only get so real in 140 characters, I suppose, but I connected with at least ten or twelve people I never would have known existed had it not been for #chatmixer.

The past few months have shown me just how many chats there are, but the mixer opened my eyes to even more! One that particularly excites me is #InternChat, which debuts March 16 (thanks to Heather Huhman for the heads up on that). During #chatmixer, some fellow PR students and I struck up a mini-conversation about how we wanted a chat like #JobHuntChat that focused on the internship hunt. Thanks to the mixer, we were able to find just what we were looking for (although we briefly entertained the idea of starting it ourselves).

It’s probably nerdy to say this, but participating in the mixer reminded me of why I think social media is so awesome. I’ve connected with new people who have told me about chats that will connect me with even more people. I suppose these connections will only be judged as truly valuable if they yield results in the future, either PR-wise, career-wise or personally. But for now, I’m just excited to keep connecting with and learning from all these new people.

What was the best part of #chatmixer for you? What did you learn? Did you connect with an awesome person and/or an awesome new chat? Please share! Even though the chat itself is over, I’d still love to connect with you and hear your thoughts!

*Oh, and last but not least: Big thanks to mixer moderators Heather Whaling, Justin Goldsborough and Valerie Simon! They get all the credit for the awesomeness. Here’s to hoping it happens again!

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “The Verdict on #ChatMixer: Awesome.

1. Heather Whaling says:

Paige,

Thanks so much for participating in #chatmixer last night! It far exceeded my expectations — and I’m so glad to hear that you found it helpful, too. For me, it was amazing to see new connections being formed … and even a new #cookchat get developed! In our industry, networks are key and Twitter provides such a great platform to interact with people you might not otherwise have had the chance to meet.

Glad you had such a positive experience!

Heather
    @prTini

• Paige Landsem says:

Heather,

Thanks for your comment. I am so glad you decided to get #chatmixer up and running and hope there’s another one in the future. And as for #cookchat…I’m not a foodie by any means but I’m still excited to check it out!

Paige

2. Valerie Simon says:

Paige,

So great to hear your feedback! It is so fun to watch new relationships being formed… and it seems like quite a few were made last night. Heather’s #internchat should be an awesome opportunity, and I hope you join us the next day (3/17) for the next #PRStudChat!

Best,
    Valerie

• Paige Landsem says:

Valerie,

Thanks for your comment! I can imagine it’s fun to see relationships and connections form via a chat; I can say from personal experience that it’s fun to make those connections, too!

I will most definitely be at #internchat and #PRStudChat; during February’s chat I was a bit nervous to put myself out there, but #chatmixer helped me gain some confidence with big chats.

Thanks again for the comment and tweeting about the post!

Paige

3. Brittany Deal says:

Paige,

It was great to meet you last night at #chatmixer! It was truly a world wind of posts! I’ve participated in chats before but #chat mixer seemed to be the most active yet. I’m not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I am looking forward to the chat gaining more structure and a voice on Twitter. It was interesting participating in the inaugural chat, everyone was so excited!

Hopefully, I can catch you again on another chat!

Can’t wait for #cookchat!

Brittany
    @BrittanyLDeal

• Paige Landsem says:

Brittany,

It was great to meet you, too! It will be interesting to see how #chatmixer plays out in the future; while I would love to participate in more, I know I’ll also want to maintain a presence in more concentrated and focused chats. Even though I’ve been on Twitter for almost a year I’m really knew to the chats so I’m also looking forward to finding my voice in that area.

It was great to connect with you last night, and thanks for the comment and tweet about this post!

Paige

4. Justin Goldsborough says:

Hi, Paige. Thanks for the kind words about #chatmixer. Glad it helped you form more of an affinity to the Twitter chat circuit. Even more excited to hear you met so many new people.

As Heather said, networking is so integral to the success of our careers and to building community that extends beyond just PR. I think this quote from @ArikHanson — my favorite as of late which has inspired me to try and meet at lest one new person each week — really sums it up nicely:

“Business, projects, speaking opportunities, friends, learning opportunities and just about everything else positive that happens in your professional life can typically be traced back to personal relationships.”

What do you think? Oh, and keep your eyes out for an update on the future of #chatmixer :).

@jgoldsborough